US 3314422 A
Resumen disponible en
Reclamaciones disponible en
Descripción (El texto procesado por OCR puede contener errores)
April 1967 B- s. PHILLIPS 3,314,422
CONTOURED POUCH FOR MEN'S WEARING APPAREL Filed April 12, 1965 3 Sheets-Sheet l- Awe-40w? BILLY S PHILLIPS April 1967 B. s. PHILLIPS 3,314,422
CONTOURED POUCH FOR MEN'S WEARING APPAREL Filed April 12, 1965 3 Sheets-Sheet? BILLY S. PHILLIPS April 18, 1967 B. s. PHILLIPS CONTOURED POUCH FOR MEN'S WEARING APPAREL 3 sheets-sheet cs Filed April 12, 1965 Awnvnw BHLY S PHILLIPS United States Patent 3,314,422 CONTOURED POUCH FOR MENS WEARING APPAREL Billy S. Phillips, 1757 Royal Blvd., Glendale, Calif. 91207 Filed Apr. 12, 1965, Ser. No. 447,244 8 Claims. (Cl. 128132) This invention relates to a new and useful item of mens wearing apparel and more particularly to a naturally contoured cup or pouch forming an integral port of the crotch portion of male wearing apparel.
It is an object of the present invention to provide a new and useful contoured cup which may be incorporated into male garments as the crotch portion thereof.
Another object of the present invention is to combine a cup of the type described with strap means of the present invention which is contoured to embrace the human figure in such a manner that the cup serves as a bottomless swimming suit.
Yet another object of the present invention is to provide a cup of the type described which serves the dual role of an athletic supporter and undergarment.
A further object of the present invention is to provide a cup of the type described in combination with an ab dominal shield.
According to the present invention, a naturally con toured cup or pouch is provided. The cup may be molded from a semi-rigid plastic or it may be constructed of foam rubber or the like which is contoured by means of suitable boning or stays. The cup may be provided with an aperture in its bottom wall for draining water therefrom when the cup is employed in a swimming suit.
The cup may be incorporated into a male garment as the crotch portion thereof or it may be provided with a shield, a body strap and a crotch strap which are contoured to embrace the human figure in such a manner that a combination may be worn as an outer garment, such as a swimming suit.
The features of the present invention which are be-- lieved to be novel are set forth with particularity in the appended claims. The present invention, bothas to its organization and manner of operation, together with further objects and advantages thereof, may best be understood by reference to the following description taken in connection with the accompanying drawings in which like reference characters refer to like elements in the several views.
In the drawings:
FIGURE 1 is a rear elevational view of a cup of the present invention;
FIGURE 2 is a perspective view of the cup shown in FIGURE 1;
FIGURE 3 is a side view of the cup of FIGURE 1 in combination with a shield of the present invention;
FIGURE 4 is a rear view of the cup and shield shown in FIGURE 3;
FIGURE 5 is the perspective view of a bottomless swimming suit of the present invent-ion;
FIGURE 6 is a rear view of the swimming suit of FIGURE 5 in position on a male-user;
FIGURE 7 is a reduced front view of the swimming suit of FIGURE 5 in position on a male-user; and
FIGURE 8 is a front view of an item of male wearing apparel incorporating the cup of FIGURE 1 as an integral part thereof.
Referring again to the drawings and particularly to FIGURES l and 2, a cup or pouch constituting a presently preferred embodiment of the invention, generally designated 10, may, if desired, 'be molded from a semi-rigid material of the type used to mold womens brassiere cups.
Alternatively, the cup 10 may be fabricated from foam rubber padding which may be out in a first section 12 and a'second section 14 and sewn together along a seam 16. The cup 10 is preferably contoured substantially as shown in FIGURE 2 so that it will completely and naturally embrace the male genital. The cup 10 includes a forward contoured edge 18 which is given support by a strip of boning or a stay 20 which extends from the front upper portion 22, down the front contoured portion 23 of the cup 10, across the bottom portion 24 and up an upwardly and rearwardly extending portion 26. A second lboning strip 28 may also be provided across the width of the pouch 10. The bottom portion 24 of the pouch 10 may be provided with an aperture 30 for draining water from the pouch 10 when it is employed as a swimmingjsu'it.
Referring now to FIGURES 3 and 4, a pouch 10a is shown which may be identical to the pouch 10 shown in FIGURES 1 and 2 except that it includes a shield portion 32 which may also be made of foam rubber and reinforced with suitable boning stays 34. The stays 34 are preferably placed so that the male body is properly supported and protected. The shield 32 must broaden out from the cup 10a and extend outwardly and upwardly from its upper portion 22a in a natural form so as to fit and support the human male properly at the lower abdominal muscles. I
Referring now to FIGURES 5-7, a cup and shield assembly of the type shown in FIGURES 3 and 4, generally designated 10b, may be provided with a body strap 36 and a crotclh strap 37. The body strap 36 is of two ply construction and includes a pair of forward portions 38 which are attached to the shield 32a in such a manner that they point rearwardly and upwardly over the hip of a maleuser 39. The ends of the portions 38 remote from the shield 32a are connected 'by suitable lacings 40 to the ends 42 of the rear portion 44 of the body strap 36. The rear portion 44 is contoured to embrace the human figure and dips down as shown at 4-6 in FIGURE 6 at the small of the back of the male-user 39. The body strap 36 is formed integrally with the crotch strap 37 which has an end 49 attached to the rear portion 26a of the pouch 10b. The crotch strap 37 is of a three ply thickness and includes an inner stiffening member 50 of heavy material like foam rubber which maintains the crotch strap 32 in position on the male-user 39 concealing his crotch while engaging in such activities. The pouch 10b, 'body strap 36 and crotch strap 37 may be covered with a suitable decorative type of material so that the finished garment may be worn as a swimming suit in which event an aperture 30a is provided for draining water from the cup 10b.
Referring now to FIGURE 8, a cup 10 from FIGURE 1 is incorporated in a male costume 52 as an integral portion thereof.
It will be seen from the foregoing that the cup 10 may be used in a number of different manners to merge one or more garments together. It becomes unnecessary to wear a supporter with an undergarment or a swim suit when using the cup 10 with or without the shield. Also, by placing an inner-liner of suitable fabric inside the cup 10, it may be used as an undergarment, while being an integral part of the outer garment 52. Therefore, by eliminating both the usual supporter and undergarment and by combining all three together one complete outer garment is provided.
While the particular wearing apparel herein shown and described in detail is fully capable of attaining the objects and providing the advantages hereinbefore stated, it is to be understood that it is merely illustrative of the presently preferred embodiment of the invention and that no limitations are intended to the details of construction or design herein shown other than as defined in the appended claims.
What is claimed is:
1. A naturally contoured pouch for male wearing apparel, comprising a front contoured portion; a rearwardly and upwardly extending portion; a bottom portion joining said front portion to said rearwardly and upwardly extending portion, whereby said pouch will completely and naturally embrace the male genitals; a shield portion extending outwardly and upwardly from said front portion for supporting a male users lower abdominal muscles; a body strap and a crotch strap, said body strap being attached to said shield and extending upwardly and rearwardly over the hips of said male user, and having a downwardly dipping portion positionable at the small of the back of said male user, said crotch strap having one end connected to said downwardly dipping portion and another end connected to said rearwardly and upwardly extending portion of said pouch.
2. A naturally contoured pouch adapted for use as a part of male wearing apparel comprising, an upstanding front contoured portion configurated to fit against the lower abdomen of the wearer, a depending lower part of said front portion being configurated to form a cup having a portion extending rearwardly and upwardly from said front portion and configurated to extend into a position between the wearers thighs whereby the pouch thereby formed, is adapted to completely and naturally hold and support the male genital organs.
3. A pouch as in claim 2 including an aperture provided in the bottom portion for draining water from the pouch when it is used as a swimming suit.
4. A pouch as in claim 2 wherein the pouch is constructed of foam rubber and embodies boning stays in the forward and lower part thereof for maintaining the aforesaid contours.
5. A pouch as in claim 2 wherein the said pouch is formed as the crotch portion of a garment.
6. A pouch as in claim 2 including a body strap connected to said pouch portion, said body strap including a downwardly dipping portion positionable at the small of the back of said male user, and a crotch strap connecting said downwardly dipping portion to said rearwardly and upwardly extending portion of said pouch.
7. A garment as in claim 6 including an aperture provided in said bottom portion for draining water from said pouch.
8. A garment as in claim 6 including a stiffener provided in said crotch strap for maintaining it in position on said male user.
References Cited by the Examiner UNITED STATES PATENTS 2,524,327 10/1950 Nelson 128-159 2,798,484 7/1957 Baudreaux 128l58 3,l76,686 4/1965 Barnes 128158 3,229,692 1/1966 Creed 128l58 ADELE M. EAGER, Primary Examiner.
Citas de patentes