(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication
Janek et al.
(io) Pub. No.: US 2006/0189935 Al (43) Pub. Date: Aug. 24, 2006
(54) SAFETY MEDICAL SYRINGE WITH RETRACTABLE NEEDLE
(76) Inventors: Gregory A. Janek, Conover, OH (US);
Vincent Runfola, Apopka, FL (US); Li
Xian Yu, Zhejiang (CN)
EDELL, SHAPIRO & FINNAN, LLC
1901 RESEARCH BOULEVARD
ROCKVILLE, MD 20850 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 11/249,741
(22) Filed: Oct. 14, 2005
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/618,137, filed on Oct. 14, 2004. Provisional application No. 60/626,916, filed on Nov. 12, 2004. Provisional application No. 60/657,700, filed on Mar. 3, 2005.
(51) Int. CI.
A61M 5/00 (2006.01)
A61M 5/32 (2006.01)
A61M 5/315 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 604/110; 604/192; 604/220
A syringe includes a hollow barrel, a hollow plunger movable within the barrel and a needle assembly secured within and at a distal end of the barrel. The needle assembly includes a needle holder, a resilient member that biases the needle holder toward the proximal end opening of the barrel, and a retaining member releasably secured to the needle holder via a reduced material section. The retaining member maintains the needle holder at the distal end of the barrel against the bias of the resilient member. When the plunger is fully depressed within the barrel, the plunger engages the needle holder such that the retaining member is forced to break away and separate from the needle holder along the reduced material section to facilitate retraction of the needle holder and a needle secured to the needle holder into the retraction cavity disposed within the plunger.