(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (i0) Pub. No.: US 2008/0051901 Al
de Villiers et al. (43) Pub. Date: Feb. 28,2008
(54) SPINAL PROSTHESIS WITH MULTIPLE PILLAR ANCHORS
(75) Inventors: Malan de Villiers, Irene (ZA); David Hovda, Mountain View, CA (US)
TOWNSEND AND TOWNSEND AND CREW,
TWO EMBARCADERO CENTER
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94111-3834 (US)
(73) Assignee: SpinalMotion, Inc., Mountain View, CA (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 11/829,056
(22) Filed: Jul. 26, 2007
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/820,770, filed on Jul. 28, 2006.
(51) Int. CI.
A61F 2/44 (2006.01)
A61B 17/56 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 623/17.16; 606/72
An intervertebral prosthesis includes a first component adapted to engage a first vertebra and a second component adapted to engage a second vertebra. A row of pillars is disposed on at least one of the components. The row of pillars is adapted to enter a groove and anchor the prosthesis in the intervertebral space. The pillars can be shaped and spaced apart to provide gaps so that bone can grow into the gaps. Additional rows of pillars can be disposed on the components and adapted to enter additional grooves formed in the vertebra.