(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2002/0015817 Al
Lieblein (43) Pub. Date: Feb. 7,2002
(54) QUILTED FOAM PAD AND METHOD OF MAKING SAME FROM SCRAP FOAM
(76) Inventor: Kenneth Lieblein, Port Washington, NY (US)
Waddey & Patterson, PC.
Bank of America Plaza
414 Union Street
Nashville, TN 37219 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 09/883,886
(22) Filed: Jun. 18, 2001
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation-in-part of application No. 09/438,549, filed on Nov. 10, 1999, now abandoned.
(30) Foreign Application Priority Data
Apr. 20, 2000 (US) PCT/US00/10615
(51) Int. CI.7 B32B 3 00
(52) U.S. CI 428 71
A quilted pad is made by chopping post-industrial scrap foam into particles and blowing the chopped particles into an air cyclone. The cyclone separates the particles from the air stream and feeds them into a foam layout machine. The chopped foam particles are deposited across a fabric bottom carrier sheet in a uniform layer. A multi-needle quilting machine lays a top fabric sheet across the foam layer, and then quilts a geometric pattern of pockets which separate and secure the foam particles. The foam particle sheet is then cut into panels and the panel edges are finished, creating a low cost but highly functional and attractive pad that can be used as a cushioning pad internal to a conventional bed mattress, as padding in the manufacture of futons, or as a low cost mattresses for camping, for use in emergency and homeless shelters.