(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2002/0192164 Al
Patton et al. (43) Pub. Date: Dec. 19,2002
(54) METHODS AND COMPOSITIONS FOR THE PULMONARY DELIVERY INSULIN
(76) Inventors: John S. Patton, Portola Valley, CA
(US); Linda S. Foster, Sunnyvale, CA
(US); Robert M. Platz, Half Moon
Bay, CA (US)
INHALE THERAPEUTIC SYSTEMS, INC
150 INDUSTRIAL ROAD
SAN CARLOS, CA 94070 (US)
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Continuation of application No. 08/668,036, filed on Jun. 17, 1996, which is a division of application No. 08/383,475, filed on Feb. 1, 1995, now abandoned, which is a continuation-in-part of application No. 08/207,472, filed on Mar. 7, 1994, now abandoned.
(51) Int. CI.7 A61K 38/28; A61K 9/14
(52) U.S. CI 424/46; 514/3
Systemic delivery of insulin to a mammalian host is accomplished by inhalation of a dry powder of insulin. It has been found that dry insulin powders are rapidly absorbed through the alveolar regions of the lungs.