(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: Us 7,738,098 B2
Cole (45) Date of Patent: Jun. 15,2010
(54) PARTICLE MONITORS AND METHOD(S) THEREFOR
(75) Inventor: Martin Terence Cole, Braeside (AU)
(73) Assignee: Siemens Schweiz AG, Zurich (CH)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 210 days.
(21) Appl.No.: 11/778,874
(22) Filed: Jul. 17, 2007
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2008/0001768 Al Jan. 3, 2008
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. 10/576,642, filed as application No. PCT/AU2004/001435 on Oct. 20, 2004.
FOREIGN PATENT DOCUMENTS
AU 573243 6/1988
D. S. Goodman, "Method for Localizing Light-Scattered Particles," IBM Technical Disclosure Bulletin, vol. 27, No. 5, Oct. 1984, pp. 3164.
Primary Examiner—Michael P Stafira
(74) Attorney, Agent, or Firm—Laurence A. Greenberg;
Werner H. Sterner; Ralph E. Lcoher
The present invention relates to the field of the detection, analysis and/or determination of matter or particles suspended in fluid. In one particular form, the present invention relates to smoke detectors, which detect unwanted pyrolysis or combustion of material. In another form, the present invention relates to smoke detectors of the early detection type, and which may be applied to ventilation, air-conditioning or duct monitoring of a particular area. In yet another form, the present invention relates to surveillance monitoring, such as building, fire or security monitoring. In still another form, the present invention relates to environment monitoring, such as monitoring, detection and/or analysis of a fluid, zone, area and/or ambient environment, including commercial and industrial environments.
9 Claims, 18 Drawing Sheets