(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication
Facer et al.
(54) INTEGRATED CHIP CARRIERS WITH THERMOCYCLER INTERFACES AND METHODS OF USING THE SAME
(75) Inventors: Geoffrey Facer, Lane Cove (AU);
Robert Grossman, South San
Francisco, CA (US); Marc Unger,
San Mateo, CA (US); Phillip Lam,
San Francisco, CA (US); Hou-Pu
Chou, Sunnyvale, CA (US); Jake
Kimball, Oakland, CA (US);
Martin Pieprzyk, Belmont, CA
(US); Antoine Daridon,
TOWNSEND AND TOWNSEND AND CREW,
TWO EMBARCADERO CENTER, EIGHTH
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94111-3834 (US)
(73) Assignee: Fluidigm Corporation, South San Francisco, CA (US)
(21) Appl.No.: 12/761,917
(22) Filed: Apr. 16, 2010
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Division of application No. 11/740,735, filed on Apr. 26, 2007, now Pat. No. 7,704,735, which is a continu
ation of application No. 11/058,106, filed on Feb. 14, 2005, which is a continuation-in-part of application No. 11/043,895, filed on Jan. 25, 2005.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/558,316, filed on Mar. 30, 2004, provisional application No. 60/557,715, filed on Mar. 29, 2004, provisional application No. 60/539,283, filed on Jan. 25, 2004.
(51) Int. CI.
C12Q 1/68 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 435/6; 435/303.1
Methods and systems are provided for conducting a reaction at a selected temperature or range of temperatures over time. An array device is provided. The array device contains separate reaction chambers and is formed as an elastomeric block from multiple layers. At least one layer has at least one recess that recess has at least one deflectable membrane integral to the layer with the recess. The array device has a thermal transfer device proximal to at least one of the reaction chambers. The thermal transfer device is formed to contact a thermal control source. Reagents for carrying out a desired reaction are introduced into the array device. The array device is contacted with a thermal control device such that the thermal control device is in thermal communication with the thermal control source so that a temperature of the reaction in at least one of the reaction chamber is changed as a result of a change in temperature of the thermal control source.