(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: Us 7,130,075 B2
Silverbrook (45) Date of Patent: Oct. 31,2006
(54) HANDHELD MOBILE COMMUNICATIONS DEVICE WITH INTEGRAL INTERNAL PRINTER AND DRIVE MEANS FOR BUSINESS CARD PRINTING
(75) Inventor: Kia Silverbrook, Balmain (AU)
(73) Assignee: Silverbrook Research Pty Ltd,
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 10/919,366
(22) Filed: Aug. 17, 2004
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2005/0012801 Al Jan. 20, 2005
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. 10/659,023, filed on Sep. 11, 2003, which is a continuation of application No. 09/436,589, filed on Nov. 9, 1999, now Pat. No. 6,628,430.
(30) Foreign Application Priority Data
Nov. 9, 1998 (AU) PP7021
(51) Int. CI.
(52) U.S. CI 358/1.8; 358/443; 358/473;
(58) Field of Classification Search 358/1.8,
358/443,473; 379/428.01; 455/556.1; 347/109 See application file for complete search history.
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
A handheld mobile communications device comprising: a support structure;
an antenna mounted on the support structure for transmitting and receiving radio signals; radio signal processing circuitry positioned on the support
structure to process the radio signals; a speaker and microphone arrangement positioned on the
support structure and operatively connected to the radio
signal processing circuitry; a printhead positioned on the support structure to carry
out a printing operation; a slot formed through an outer surface of the device to
receive manually inserted print media to be printed by
drive means for driving the print media past the printhead during printing, the slot and drive means being sized and configured to receive and drive print media in the form of cards that are between 80 mm and 90 mm long, and between 48 mm and 58 mm wide; and
printing processing circuitry positioned on the support structure, the printing processing circuitry being configured to: generate dot data; supply the dot data to the printhead; and control operation of the printhead.
7 Claims, 16 Drawing Sheets