Featured Silver/brass pelgrimage shields Eindhoven (1782)

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Ex Libris, Nov 20, 2023.

1. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

I recently came across a fascinating piece of history that I'm eager to share with this community of history buffs and collectors. During a restoration project in the 1950s, a set of three shields was discovered in an antique cabinet that once belonged to a priest from Woensel (now Eindhoven). These shields, each measuring 17 x 10 cm, are made of silver and brass and date back to 1782.

IMG_4582.JPG

On one side, they feature intricate engravings of the Virgin Mary, a common symbol of protection and guidance in Christian art. The other side bears the inscription "Broederschap (Brotherhood/Fraternity) 1782" along with the names "Strijp," "Gestel," and "Straetum (Stratum)." These were separate villages at the time, which today have been absorbed into the modern city of Eindhoven in the Netherlands.

IMG_4581.JPG

It's speculated that these shields were used as finials on staffs or banners during the pilgrimage to Kevelaer, a place of great Marian devotion. The detailed craftsmanship suggests that they were significant to the processions and rituals of the Catholic faith in these communities. 1782 was the year the procession from Eindhoven to Kevelaer was 40 years old.

I'm intrigued by the possibility that these shields could provide insights into the local history of Eindhoven and the practices of the Catholic Church in the region. Did each village have its own brotherhood? Could these shields have been a form of identity for each group during the pilgrimage?

Districts of Eindhoven

zevenstadsdelen.jpg

I'm reaching out to this community for further insights or information. Does anyone here have knowledge of similar artifacts or local historical records that could shed light on the significance of these shields? Any details about the pilgrimage practices of the time or the role these villages played in the wider context of Dutch religious history would be greatly appreciated.

There is still a brotherhood of the pelgrimage from Eindhoven to Kevalaer. This brotherhood exists from 1740. Their archive was unfortunately destroyed during the WW II.

s3___eu-west-1_dlcs-storage_2_8_V0035531.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thank you very much, I love this kind of thing, especially when it is our local history.:happy:
    It is certainly the Madonna of Kevelaer, I have seen her often enough. My grandmother used to go on pilgrimage to Kevelaer, but she grew up in Limburg, close to Kevelaer. I went with her several times, and my parents were friends with a gallery owner there.

The Madonna of Kevelaer is actually a small print of the Madonna of Luxembourg, as it says on the print. I believe a soldier carried the print with him, for protection. I don't remember the full story, but I'm sure it is online somewhere.
    But even though she is 'just' a very small print, she is miraculous, and that's what counts.;)

I don't have time now, but I'll do some digging into local brotherhoods tomorrow.
    I don't think they would have been able to hold public processions at the time, because of the restrictions on the Catholic faith, which hadn't been lifted yet.

3. Ex Libris

There are quite some pilgrimages from here to Mary shrines: Kevelaer, Handel, Den Bosch, Scherpenheuvel, Ommel, Maastricht. So I am not 100% shure (yet) of Kevelaer, although it is the most likely option. Tomorrow evening I have a meeting with an expert of the Saint George’s Guild in Stratum. We’ll see from there :)

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Fascinating!!!!! Hope you'll keep us posted!!!

Ex Libris, wlwhittier and Boland like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

I am a bit of a miraculous Madonna aficionada, a family affliction, and I have seen all of the ones you mentioned, from the Byzantine ivory Madonna in Ommel to the most beautiful of all Madonnas, the 'Sterre der Zee', Star of the Sea, in Maastricht.
    I even walked with the heavy workhorses on my way to Scherpenheuvel (only the last part).
    Having seen them all, the only one that has this shape is Kevelaer. The others don't have those wide robes, not even in full regalia.

I think I wasn't clear with what I said about public processions at the time. I meant the period these shields were made, 1782, not today.
    When Catholics were allowed to practice in public again, those processions that had a pre-ban tradition were allowed.

Btw, I used to live on the Tongelresestraat, so the procession to Handel would pass by my door each year.:woot::happy: I live a bit further away now, but can still see them pass in the distance, and hear the jingling of the horse brasses and bells.

For everyone who enjoys horses with traditional brasses etc, here they are on their way to Handel. The wagons are virtually empty, they are only for those people who can't walk all the way:

Will you let us know what they say?
    I'll wait with my digging.;)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
    BoudiccaJones and Ex Libris like this.
  6. Ex Libris

I lived on the Aalsterweg in Eindhoven, and every year we saw the procession of Handel passing as well :).

The secretary of the Kevelaer procession confirmed this is the Madonna of Kevelaer as well, so together with your conformation, I have enough evidence until something else proves us all wrong!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Ex Libris

The next question is what it could have as a function in a procession. Here is a staff of the Utrecht brotherhood in Kevelaer. I can imagine one of my shields on a staff like this.

unnamed (1).png unnamed.png

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

So special to see living heritage pass by your door, isn't it.:happy:
    So can I.
    It would be nice to have proof though, and I'm sure it is out there somewhere.

Ex Libris likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Oops, that was Hakendover, another place of pilgrimage, where the horses go round the chapel thirteen times. Clearly of pre-Christian origin.

I have been to Scherpenheuvel too though.

Ex Libris likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Ex Libris likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

There may be a problem with the banner finial or fraternity staff finial concept. Your shields are attached to a stem or pin, whereas banner or staff finials have a cuff that goes over the staff or banner rod.

Are the tips of the shield pins sharpened? Could they have been pinned to something? A cloak maybe?

This is what I mean by a cuff, fraternity staff finials in the treasury of St Servatius Basilica in Maastricht:

1190px-Schatkamer_St-Servaasbasiliek,_broederschapsceremoniestaven.jpg
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...aasbasiliek,_broederschapsceremoniestaven.jpg

Ex Libris likes this.
  12. Ex Libris

I see your point, but the shields are too big/heavy to attach to a cloak. I would have expected holes in the shields to attach it with a ring or a chain.

Example

IMG_4590.jpeg

The points are not pointy.

IMG_4558.jpeg

Nice word for scrabble by the way: broederschapsceremoniestafbekroning ;)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Agree, like guild shields.
    OK, back to the old drawing board.;)
    :joyful:

Ex Libris likes this.
  14. Ex Libris

I was at the guild house today and the guy who I spoke did not know much about pelgrimage silver. My shields are not guild silver. He also thought it is religious silver. He showed me one piece from their collection that is also a 19th century staff finial, likely related to Kevelaer:

IMG_4592.JPG IMG_4593.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

A beauty, and also with a cuff. I especially like the engraving of St Leonardus.

I have two books on pilgrimages, one specifically on North Brabant pilgrimages, but can't find them now.:banghead: And I don't know if they have information relevant to these shields.
    While I sort through boxes, you could ask Museum Krona in Uden, or even the Catharijneconvent.

https://www.museumkrona.nl/nl/ontdek-krona/collectie/volksdevotie
    https://www.museumkrona.nl/nl/organisatie/wie-zijn-wij

https://www.catharijneconvent.nl/contact/

16. Any Jewelry

Found the N. Brabant pilgrimage book, but there is nothing there that is of help to you.:(

Ex Libris likes this.
  17. Ex Libris

I have ordered this book, maybe there is some info in there.
    IMG_4597.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

You never know.;) But I think the clue you need is here, since the shields were more likely locally made.
    Still, good to know more about the greater background of items, much of which the book will provide.

There is also a museum in Kevelaer, Niederrheinisches Museum, if I remember correctly. They have pilgrimage-associated items, but their main focus is on general Kevelaer history and pottery (again, if I remember correctly).

Ex Libris likes this.
  19. Ex Libris

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Wonderful, thank you for sharing.:)
    I hadn't thought of Kevelaer being part of the Southern Netherlands for some time, but of course it was, and it still has a similar culture.
    And the Kevelaer dialect is related to dialects in northern Limburg and eastern Dutch Brabant, which also means we can communicate with each other in our own languages.;)

Ex Libris likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted