Ancients: Larissa, Thessaly Drachm - Speaking of Slabs

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by iamtiberius, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Thessaly, Larissa AR Drachm 400-370 BC?. Head of nymph facing slightly right / LARIS above, Horse right, grazing.
    Larissa obv clipped.png Larissa Rev CLipped.png Larissa Obv Slab.jpg

This is my first forward-facing Greek AR (facing slightly right, if you want to get technical). There are several hundred variations of the type, and I'm still not sure exactly what era it's from. Personally, I think it is from the 344-321 BC era of this issue. Mainly because of the closer similarities in dies compared to the earlier coins. Unfortunately, I may never know because of the strike. On the Rev: There was a very scarce possibility of a signature "SIMO" above Larissa's head. On the Obv: There was the possibility of text in the exergue, i.e. "AIWN." As you can see, the strike disallowed both.

As far as the condition, I would agree on a 4/5 surface if it wasn't for the "smooshed" look of the nose/mouth on the obv. I would think a 3/5 would have sufficed. Then again, I don't know NGC's standards and they may relate their grading to a number of variables to which I am not aware.

I don't plan on selling this coin; it will break free it's glossy cage and be bound no more by the evils of numismatic corporations... well maybe i'm exaggerating a little bit, but i'm sure Larissa will be happy to breathe fresh air. Maybe i'll make a youtube video. Band saw or tin snips?

...if you got 'em

-Mike

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Another nice Greek coin and out of my budget range for sure. I would certainly liberate from the plastic tomb. Others would say leave it in there. Ultimately, it is your choice.

4. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Very nice piece Mike, what are you gonna put it in when you release it?

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

A greek type I would love to own one day, nice.

6. I keep most of my collection in BCW 2x2 Vinyl flips. I make my own paper inserts with an emblem and coin info to put in one side, then the coin in the other.

I keep those flips in x20 insert BCW pages in a binder, with 1 empty page between each for protection.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I've told this story before, but I think it bears repeating. I have a niece named Larissa, who is now a veterinarian specializing in horses. When I asked her if she knew the origin of her name and the significance with horses, she was totally unaware. Makes one wonder don't you think?

BTW, very nice pickup.

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet Thessaly coin, brother ...

Yah sadly, all I have is this Thessaly-Pharsalos offering ... hopefully it is okay? (maybe one day I'll step-up to the big-boy drachm-table?)

Cheers

THESSALY, Pharsalos. AR Hemidrachm
    Mid-late 5th century BC
    Diameter: 14 mm
    Weight: 2.88 grams
    Obverse: Helmeted head of Athena right
    Reverse: Head and neck of horse right within incuse square
    Reference: Lavva 31 (V21/R19); BCD Thessaly II –; Moustaka 51; SNG Copenhagen 217-8
    Other: 12h … VF, lightly toned
    From the Demetrios Armounta Collection

Thessaly Pharsalos.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I really like that horse face. A coin does not need to be large to be good. Mine is more worn and has lost the fine detail that makes your so good.
    g01110bb0488.jpg
    Of my Larissa coins, my favorite is a fourree drachm but as good style as any fourree I have. The coin also has scratches but the man and horse reverse is vastly less common. Compare:
    http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1179795
    g01060b00361lg.jpg

10. ...and on the 2nd year, this thread arose. Added a few BCD's to the Larissa mix. The following are the forward facing, only (3/4 if you're into technicalities.) I may post the other drachms soon.

Larissa Drachm 1.png
    THESSALY, Larissa. Circa 400-370 BC. AR Drachm (18mm, 6.02 g, 3h). Head of the nymph Larissa facing slightly left, with hair on ampyx / ΛΑΡΙΣΑ, horse grazing right.

Larissa Drachm.png
    THESSALY, Larissa. Circa 380-365 BC. AR Drachm (20mm, 5.98 g, 12h). Head of the nymph Larissa facing slightly left, wearing ampyx, earring, and necklace / [Λ]Α-Ρ-ΙΣΑ, Thessalos, wearing petasos and chlamys, preparing to vault onto back of bridled horse cantering to right.

I was pleasantly surprised at the obv toning on both; as the CNG pictures are near gray-scale.

-Miguel

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  11. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

My only Larissa facing head drachm, purchased 5 or so years ago when I was dabbling in Greek coins and just starting with numismatic photography:

greek118obv.jpg greek118rev.jpg

12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Gawd a bunch of wonderful coins! This is a stretch but here's my only facing coin:

[​IMG]
    Pisidia, Selge.
    Æ12, 2.4g, 7h; 2nd-1st centuries BC
    Obv.: Laureate and bearded head of Herakles facing, lion-skin around neck; club to left.
    Rev.: Forepart of stag right, head left.

13. Looks more like a Forest God with a braided beard and leaves sticking out of his hair. Awesome.

Jwt708 likes this.
  14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thanks! In hand the relief of this coin is stunning and the photo fails to capture it.

Roman Collector likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted